Hi all,

I have to disagree with the idea that you can use this material. It is very
explicitly “under copyright” and that copyright is clearly not compatible with
Openstreetmap “open” policy.

No CEO of the Council will have the authority to give “permission” to use their
data as the CEO cannot overrule the copyright without changing the copyright
itself. So the idea that everyone else that is using that data is bound by the
copyright, but we are not, defeats the copyright because they will then come to
Openstreetmap to use the data as they please.

Then what happens if the next CEO rules that the first CEO was wrong to have
released the data and that that data is still under copyright. That compromises
Openstreetmap and would require a complex revert of data, some of which may
have already been used by third parties not aware of the original copyright on
the Council data.

So again it is my opinion that the data is under copyright and is therefore not
compatible with Openstreetmap policy.

The best people to ask for advise on this is OSM Legal Working Group
legal-questi...@osmfoundation.org .