Maybe I am missing something here, but to my mind road and place naming is pretty clear cut. See:-

"Guidelines for the determination of place names" a fact sheet by the Geographic Names Board of NSW
http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/58843/Guidelines_determination_placenames_2017.pdf

and

"6.7 Principles of Road naming" page 97 of the NSW Addressing User Manual
http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/199411/2018_NSW_Addressing_User_Manual.pdf

Although these relate to NSW, I imagine there are similar arrangements in all states and territories.

If OSM uses anything different it will only cause difficulties. I guess that, as with all standards, there will be exceptions.
But OSM should then go with whatever the legal name is.

Cheers
Adrian Hobbs

tel: 0427 310 938
email: adrian.ho...@grapevine.com.au