Graeme,
It should work the same way for all OSM lists, or for all properly configured
mailing lists for that matter.
Some mail programs try to be smart about it and either inject a ‘Reply-To’
header whenever you compose a response to a mailing list message, or look for a
‘List-Post’ or similar header to automatically direct your response there by
default. So it may depend on the mail client of whomever you are responding to
uses… Whenever I respond to a mailing list I just use ‘Reply to all’ to be sure.
Martijn