I generally split these ways. A couple of reasons:

1. Traffic is generally not meant to make U-turns here. Occasionally there is
an explicit no-U-turn sign, but most of the time there is a double white line
extending from the end of the median strip preventing turning.

2. If a route relation uses the road, then it is required to split the road, as
traffic following the relation doesn’t do a U-turn. As an example, have a look
at https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1284045
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1284045> - ways
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/175260353
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/175260353> and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/175260354
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/175260354> are the respective forward
members for each direction of travel. (Probably easier to see in the relation
editor in JOSM)

Mark P.