Hi all,

My name is Aleksandar Matejevic, I work for Microsoft OSM Editorial team. In
order to make the best decision in classifying roads across Australia, I need
some help.

In government data and on signposts you can find on mapillary and/or open
street cam, you can track route numbers. I found out that routes mostly consist
of:

M route - motorways

A route - trunks

B route - primary roads

C route - secondary roads

As long you map in non-urban area this is 99.99% true, but when you map into
city area it starts to get confusing.

On this wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highways_in_Australia there is
no real explanation how to classify AUS roads in OSM

If you strictly follow this page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway than you should change road
classification several times on the same route way.

Therefore I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you change the classification of highway on the motorway route into trunk
through the city because it does not have a physical barrier in between (not
restricted access) or do you keep it as motorway because of consistency?

2. If we were to change the road classification several times during one route
way, should we ignore segments that are less than 3km (for example motorway
going through minor city in which it has a quality of trunk)?

3. Can motorway have some traffic signals when passing through city?

4. How to classify State routes (for example in Melbourne)?

Best regards,

Aleksandar