Hi,

On 9/20/19 03:14, Herbert.Remi via Talk-au wrote:
> I will post several concerns and information on several issues, but the
> first is this platform itself.

You call this platform a "forum" which is ok in the abstract sense, but
note that there is actually an Australia forum in addition to this
Australia mailing list
(https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=24). The forum
provides a slightly different user experience but is used less.

In other countries, people have set up Slack channels or Facebook groups
or even more esoteric channels of communication, in addition of or as a
replacement for mailing lists - browse
https://github.com/osmlab/osm-community-index if you want to get an idea.

There's no strict rule about where the OSM community should discuss
their issues, however media that requires prior registration with a
third-party entity - like Slack or Facebook - are sometimes frowned upon
as they give control over who can participate to that third party and
might require the participant to agree to wide-ranging exploitation of
their personal data by a commercial entity.

In Germany where I hail from, the forum and the mailing list are used by
about the same number of (but largely different) people, and since the
total number of contributors is large enough to guarantee lively
discussion on both, that's totally fine. Germany also has mailing lists
for individual states but they are used very little, and even
state-specific issues would often be discussed on the nationwide list to
ensure they get enough attention.

Speaking very generally, OSM has achieved the success it has with a
"just do it" attitude: Instead of saying, 15 years ago, "BEFORE we
start, let's come up with a good data scheme and a feature catalogue",
people said "let's just start and then fix things as we go along".

My recommendation would be to just stat discussing whatever needs
discussing on the talk-au mailing list and branch out as the need
arises. If something is worth discussing then a non-ideal UI should not
be the blocker, and if it is, then maybe the issue is not so important.

Bye
Frederik