I completely agree the "how to map" of OpenStreetMap (not just tags, but
also things like when to split a highway, when to snap nodes, what should
be mapped etc) is full of "inconsistencies, idiosyncrasies and vagueness".
But when I look at where OSM is today I think we've done a pretty amazing
job all things considered, yes we still have much more work to do, but
being a mostly volunteer self organising community the best way to make OSM
stronger is hands on driving this change.

I think the easiest way to get started is improving documentation on the
wiki, documenting all the different "how to map" concepts used today,
documenting these "inconsistencies, idiosyncrasies and vagueness", then as
a community we can refine approaches to eventually resolve these issues.
There's a lot of precedent in OSM for deprecating things when we have
better/more commonly used.

Any time you encounter an inconsistencies I'd encourage you to raise it,
either on the globally tagging list, or if it's local here on talk-au.