On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 18:39, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> includes a link to a downloadable example which is headed "Australian
>> Boundary Tagging _ OSM" but with copyright attributed to Government of
>> Western Australia.  I am not sure how the current content of wiki was
>> arrived at.  My memory is not perfect so perhaps someone can remind me how
>> the wiki content on administrative boundaries and the WA Government
>> copyright document was reached.
>>
>> In NSW there are land districts defined in legislation with
>> administrative boards etc so they could be included if we could get
>> permission to use the source data (not included in current approval as far
>> as I am aware) and there are probably equivalents in other jurisdictions. I
>> think administrative boundaries must be sourced from government.   In NSW,
>> land districts are larger in area than local government areas (LGAs) but
>> their influence and importance is (in my view) much less than LGAs - the
>> Greater Sydney Local Land Services board has the majority of its membership
>> appointed by the Minister for Agriculture and few Sydney residents would
>> even know of its existence or role.  I'd want to put them at level 11,
>> certainly not a higher level than the LGAs.  I do not think that a larger
>> area automatically warrants a higher administrative level.
>>
>> I am open to changing and developing our guidelines. However some
>> boundaries are not necessarily administrative  e.g. Eyre Peninsula (natural
>> region),  Barossa Valley District (protected area), Illawarra Region, New
>> England Region.  Some boundaries might be tourist labels or have local
>> currency but would need to be mapped as something other than administrative.
>>

> Sorry I'm getting offtopic here...
>
> I'm only familiar with NSW but for example we have a few
> non-administrative regions/districts mapped
>
> Illawarra https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876497 tagged as
> place=region without an admin_level
> Northern Beaches https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876483 tagged as
> place=district without an admin_level
> Lower North Shore https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876484 tagged
> as place=district without an admin_level
> Upper North Shore https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/11373192 tagged
> as place=district without an admin_level
> St George https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7876480 tagged as
> place=district without an admin_level
> others could be added like The Shire, South Coast, Hunter Valley, Central
> Coast, Hills District, Eastern Suburbs, Blue Mountains + regional
> regions/districts.
>
> I agree that these are not administrative boundaries so I'm fine with not
> giving them an admin_level, and it's a fair argument that these are not
> verifiable on the ground, but nonetheless they do exist and people refer to
> them frequently in conversation.
>
> In terms of the admin_level for LGA's I think if we have administrative
> regions or not shouldn't really affect the admin_level value too much, I
> think going with what most other countries use for

Reposting this as my reply only went to Cleary, not the list, & it seems
important enough to follow up. Sorry if it's a bit messy & confused!

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 11:21, cleary <o...@97k.com> wrote:

> I looked at the Wiki. It is quite a while since I looked at the section on
> administrative boundaries. My recollection is that it used to have LGA as
> admin_level=6 and suburb as level 9 or 10.

I had the same vague memory?

 I do not recall any discussion of inclusion of regions, districts and
> townsites nor any previous discussion in regard to changing the level of
> LGA.

Did a bit of searching & it appears it was only changed on 15/7/20, but no,
I certainly don't remember any discussion?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Admin_level_10&diff=prev&oldid=2012028

Makes reference to "Australian Tagging Review (2012 / 2016)", but that
doesn't help me much either?

Thanks

Graeme