In regard to ABS data ... I understand that it was added into OSM when it was
the only data for which we could get permission.  ABS statistical areas
approximate suburb boundaries (perhaps 90% similarity).  In the Sydney suburb
where I live, the ABS boundary is almost exactly the suburb boundary that
existed more than 20 years ago (last century!) but the official boundary has
now changed. Now that we have accurate data on suburbs/localities, I think we
should remove references to ABS data.

In regard to mapping localities ...  I don't have knowledge of the Gold Coast
but, in NSW, I see localities as non-specific areas without precise boundaries
and which are are smaller places within the bounded places usually referred to
as suburbs.  If there are official boundaries for Gold Coast localities, then I
withdraw my comments. However generally I think the suburbs are best mapped as
areas with precise boundaries while localities are mapped as nodes. In rural
areas, these places are often unpopulated and mapped as "place=locality" or one
or two houses mapped as "place=isolated_dwelling" (both of which I have used).
In metropolitan areas, they can be mapped with a node "place=neighbourhood"
(which I have used) or "place=quarter" (which I have not used).

I have mapped boundaries in NSW and SA and I think LGA at level 6 and suburb at
level 10 has worked well in both places so I see no reason to change. However I
am open to something else if others think different levels would be better.