On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 18:39, Daniel O'Connor <daniel.ocon...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> and after a bit of digging came across this ODBL data:
> https://github.com/microsoft/AustraliaBuildingFootprints
>
> As fun as hand tracing data is; I'd be pretty keen to swap to small scale
> imports of this, suburb by suburb in my area.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microsoft_Building_Footprint_Data
> details the data in more general terms, and links to a few import proposals.
>
> Anyone feel like exploring and validating the quality of the data in their
> areas?

Thanks for posting, I didn't realise they had released something for
Australia. It says "The data will also be made available in Facebook
RapiD." but I couldn't see buildings come through only roads. RapiD would
probably be one of the easier options for bringing into OSM.

Areas which are already well mapped building wise best to leave what's
there, and area where people are actively mapping with local knowledge and
survey's best to leave what's there, but for general areas with almost no
buildings mapped, I think it makes sense to manually import this to provide
a good base level of coverage.