I've also had conversations like that, and have rarely managed to convince people that I'm not peculiar. I remember one bloke found it more believable that I was collecting photos of power poles than that I was contributing to a map!

OSM UK has high-viz surveyor vests <https://osmuk.org/community-projects/surveyor-hi-vis-jackets/>, or rather instructions for how to get a work-wear company to make such a thing on order. I wonder if we could do something similar here?

But yeah, I agree that a 'official' OSM Oceania leaflet or lanyard or something would be great. I mean, I realise I could just print such a thing, but there's something better about it having some sort of community standing.

—Sam.