There is another aspect to your question, which is how to map woods/trees
after a fire?

You're right it looks like someone has mapped the wooded areas as a
relation with holes for non-wooded areas
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9300964/history

Some of the current gaps might be due to recent fires, and I don't know if
they should be mapped as something else. Depending on the fire severity
then it's possible the woodland will regrow quickly, slowly, or not for a
long time. I assume there's some precedent & convention based on the large
fires in the east a couple of years back.

Adam