Our mappers "map what's on the ground" and use "one feature, one OSM
element". I agree as OSM matures and the detail of these remote areas is
surveyed, we should be distinctly mapping natural features vs
administrative boundaries as separate entities. I've helped with detailing
natural areas in the Victorian Alps, and I can say unpicking natural tags
from administrative boundaries is a lot of work! (and prone to accidentally
breaking the odd poly or two in the process, sorry about that)!

It's worth the effort though, and we end up with detailed outdoor maps like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/-37.1194/146.6790 Also, we used to
have one massive natural=wood polygon stretching hundreds of kilometres
from the outskirts of Melbourne up to the NSW border, which meant any
breakages during editing would lose half a state's worth of tree cover.
Chunking this down into several polys has made localised natural features
detailing far more manageable for editors.

On the topic of natural features, can anyone advise the recommended largest
size on what a multipolygon can be? I remember some editors and renderers
used to struggle with thousands of members in the relation, but I can't
seem to find the recommended maximum anymore
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11101

You can also use Overpass Turbo to query natural features, eg
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1bRC

Regarding administrative boundaries, developers, is it possible for the
ones that were imported many years ago to be re-validated somehow? Some
form of scheduled script to check that the OSM data still matches the
official open source dataset to prevent editing drift?

..Brendan