Hi all,
  I have reviewed portions of 1998 changesets that had new roads added in
South Australia at the time with only a handful of non-commercial editors
creating highways.

Of 2673 new highways extracted by Overpass that were reviewed,

   - 77% appear to be private farm roads rather than residential or
   unclassified roads,
   - 6% appear to be alleys or lanes that should have their highway type
   reduced to avoid routing down the lane and
   - 2% had other issues.

A further 3% were difficult to determine but caused no real concern
including old road alignments that may have been reclaimed by the farmer. I
reviewed each highway in JOSM using Bing / Maxar to determine what I
thought each highway should be. My thoughts may not be the same as others
on some highways however I believe I have identified the majority correctly
without local knowledge.

 I have now altered the highways as indicated above and manually altered
the 2% with other issues. This may mean there are a few islands of
access=all, or where Right Of Way or livestock routes might have been set
to private however I hope this is an improvement overall.

Before embarking on a large number of additions, it might be worthwhile
flagging this here and running some small batches. I am now seeing lots of
changes in the Victorian high country by the same commercial team and
removing surface type. It's hard to keep track of a very fast paced team
making one or two edits in a changeset.

--
Warm Regards

Ewen Hill