While I could place a track across each grassed area, the placement of the track would be somewhat arbitrary.

Is there any point in trying to mark an area as walkable? In the example link below, people can walk pretty much anywhere across the two grassed areas, and it's only the track in between those areas which is an actual track.

It sounds like I just mark a track, and accept that in this case I am mapping for the renderer/router?

cheers
Tom
----
Canyoning? try http://ozultimate.com/canyoning