Hey Peter.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022, at 11:20 PM, Peter leGras wrote:
> The tag addr:housenumber does not render on non-building areas, but it is
> still useful to include on the complex lot bounds to assist geocoding. You
> can read more about this at
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1746
> Note that adding a node tagged with addr:housenumber at the centre of the
> complex will render on osm.org.

Good to know! Thank you.

Looking at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr more carefully, it does
say that adding an address to a node within the site outline is fine, thanks
for the pointer. I'm a little wary of tagging the same housenumber on the site
way and a node, as josm throws a validation warning (and a lot of my edits have
been around removing validation problems ;) ). But I think I can see how this
might be a valid use.

> If there are multiple dwellings on the complex with the same housenumber, you
> could add the addr:housenumber to every dwelling in the lot and consider
> adding addr:unit or addr:flats to each as necessary.

Oh, `addr:unit` looks like it could be a good option. Unfortunately, for a lot
of these I don't have ready access to the unit numbers - at the end of the day
they're on private property so I'd be inferring the majority based on what I
can see from the footpath - so was planning on just mapping the street address
for the lot.

Thanks,
--
Peter