On Feb 2, 2022, at 12:41 AM, Bob Cameron <bob3b...@skymesh.com.au> wrote:
> MR358 or Coulsons Creek Road between Willow Tree and Merriwa NSW is closed
> for repair of major slippage as it crosses the Liverpool Ranges.
> "Livetraffic" (Traffic for NSW govt site) says not reopening until late 2023.
> A reference on that to a local govt site is devoid of any current information.
>
> In the OSM data catalogue Wiki thare are a number of TFNSW waivers but I dont
> see anything obvious that would allow me to copy the "Livetraffic" closed
> road section.
>
> Livetraffic uses Google maps. It is quite explicit as to what length/location
> is closed.
>
> As it turns out I'll be at the Willow Tree and Merriwa ends of this road in a
> week so can view any closure signs. I also know the slippage section as I
> drove on it just before it was closed a year ago. There are even Mapillary
> images of same. I don't however plan to drive up to the closure barriers at
> each end to check for sure!
>
> Do I have enough to make an educated guess as to what section would be deemed
> closed without violating any copy-write etc stuff.

I don't think this is lengthy at all (but I'm rumored to be loquacious).  I
think what this fundamentally comes to is "facts cannot be copyrighted."  As
long as you are aware that perhaps the Livetraffic MIGHT be copyrighted (you
heard it over the air, so "maybe," it is government produced, so "maybe") and
you explicitly "subtract that from your knowledge," you are on the right track.
 Start with your knowledge (you "know the slippage section" from only a year
ago), that's pretty solid ground to stand on.  Also, don't forget to "mentally
subtract from your knowledge" anything Google Maps (explicit), though the fact
that Livetraffic uses that is a grey area, as it could be considered a "derived
work."

I'm not a copyright attorney (and I am in California, USA), but if what you are
entering into OSM what you know to be (truthful) facts, you're 100% OK, as
"facts cannot be copyrighted."

I don't know if this helps, I hope it does.  Good on ya' to ask, maybe others
can hone in on a better bullseye than I am here.