I have used highway=construction where road was completely closed for a year or
so. I also added a note about the the reason and anticipated duration.

In such situations, sometimes sections of road near the closed section might
remain open for restricted access by residents. If you are aware of this, it
might be appropriate to use highway=service for such sections, also with a note
about reason/duration.

When the work is completed, tags can be changed back to highway=secondary or
whatever is appropriate.