I think either awtgs= or hiking_scale:awtgs= are fine, I'd say just pick
one and start a wiki page describing the tag and how it's used.

As I raised before I'm still not sure about how it would apply to
individual ways vs route relations and if it's only tagged based on
officially assigned values or if mappers can evaluate and decide the value
on their own.