Thanks for the tip about the "change" tag.

So here is what I've done - does it sound right?

- in the section where the slip lane joins the 2-lane through road (where
lanes=3), I have added:  "change:lanes=not_right|not_left| "

(this hopefully means that the left hand lane cannot change lanes to the
right, and the middle lane cannot change lanes to the left)

- then in the next section where turn left and right slip lanes are added
(where lanes=5), I have added"  "change:lanes= |not_right|not_left|| "

(which hopefully means: the left slip lane can do as it pleases, the 2nd
lane (the left-most of the 3 through lanes) cannot change right, the middle
of the 3 through lanes cannot change left, and the other 2 right-most lanes
can do as they please)

I'd be very interested to see what a routing engine does at the point where
the slip lane joins the 2 through lanes.  That is, does it associate the
slip lane with the left-most of the through lanes and hence know a vehicle
can't jump from the slip lane to the centre lane at the instant - or do the
lanes go into a "melting pot" with no association?  Similarly where lanes=3
changes to lanes=5 where the turn left and right slip lanes are added.

Ian