From: Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 14 March 2022 1:12 PM
To: Andrew Davidson <thesw...@gmail.com>
Cc: OSM Australian Talk List <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Looking for some Brisbane based mapper support.

Still no response from anybody here, so might throw it out to the Tagging list
to see what people world-wide think?

Thanks

Graeme

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 at 14:28, Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefi...@gmail.com<mailto:graemefi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
& it would have helped if I posted my original message, as I intended to! :-(

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2022-February/015884.html

As I said then, to me personally, looking at Brisbane CBD:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/-27.4701/153.0343, (but the other major
cities would be the same), the main grid of the busiest streets should probably
be Secondary with smaller streets as either Tertiary or Minor / Unclass?

One comment on the =secondary talk page pretty well agrees:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:highway%3Dsecondary

I'm amazed though that there appears never to have been any discussion on this
previously?

Just looking at other major cities, most of them seem to be a mix of primary &
tertiary, with only a few secondary, except for Manhattan, NY, which has lots
of both primary & secondary with not that many tertiary.

Thanks

Graeme

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 at 14:14, Andrew Davidson
<thesw...@gmail.com<mailto:thesw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 12:45 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefi...@gmail.com<mailto:graemefi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Brought that same question up a little while back, but no response.

Ah yes, sorry about that. My interest in highway classification is so
low I don't think your email even registered with me.

Had a read through the wiki on highway classification and it is pretty
useless for deciding what to do in urban areas.

Anyway let's give a week or so and then we can close that issue with a
note that nobody has an opinion on the subject.