On 8/10/21 17:41, Andrew & Ingrid Parker wrote:
Thank you everyone. It is clear now that it is OK to have an area inside or overlapping another area. That is logical and contrary to what I had been told by another mapper. It may be the case that I misunderstood what they were saying.

Usually the last part - "misunderstood what they were saying" is the largest part of the problem.

My take;

 landuse=forest does not denote trees but the human use of the land to get timber.

natural=wood = trees exist here! Note 'natural' does not, in OSM terms' exclude human intervention. So if it is planted, maintained, etc by humans then it is still ok to tag 'natural=wood'.

An example is where a tree area overlaps both a state forest and farm land. The tree area can be drawn as one area. While the farm and state forest can be separate areas overlapped by the tree area.

What you should not do is overlap areas of land covers such as grass and trees, or sand and trees. And similarly for land use - farm and industrial for example.

Cheers
Andrew Parker