Yes it is a longstanding issue: Is this shared path primarily a cycleway
where pedestrians are allowed (highway=cycleway, foot=designated) or
primarily a footpath ("mainly or exclusively for pedestrians") where
bicycles are allowed (highway=footway, bicycle=yes)?

In most circumstances the 2 are equivalent.

 - Ben Kelley.