On 6/9/22 11:23, stevea wrote:
I forgot to say earlier, so I add here and now:  on really huge routes like
this — thousands of kilometers long — it makes it more manageable for humans
(and OSM software like JOSM and other tools / end-use cases like renderers and
routers) to break up the route into logical sub-components.

I'm thinking of examples I know in the USA, like Pacific Crest Trail or Appalachian Trail, where
there are either "by state boundaries" kinds of "chunking," or designated by
Trail Management (I think the PCT uses letters of the alphabet to denote segments).

For Munda Biddi, you may want to inquire whether something like this "chunking" of the
whole trail into smaller segments is already going on "officially," and mimic that in
OSM.  I will say that dealing with a single relation that contains thousands of elements (over 1500
things slow down and get unwieldy) are hard to deal with and do recall that there is a 2000-item
limit for some data structures in OSM.  I don't recommend putting more than 2000 ways into any
single relation under any circumstances.

I hope all this helps.

The Bicentennial Nation Trail is broken by states (and that is a horse trail, a mtb trail and a hiking trail). It is not well mapped.

The Overland Track is broken into segments - the 'normal' day lengths for hikers.

The Munda Biddi could also be broken into segments -

For example

First relation: Perth to some point where the trail separates into a choice. This would be common for all variations.

Second and third relations: from the above relation until they join

Forth relation: common bit from the above to the next separation.

Then I'd have 2 or 4 master relations:

North, South  etc.

This makes changes to it easier as you have to change one section and that is then incorporated into each mater relation.