On Sep 6, 2022, at 12:36 AM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Bicentennial Nation Trail is broken by states (and that is a horse trail,
> a mtb trail and a hiking trail). It is not well mapped.
>
> The Overland Track is broken into segments - the 'normal' day lengths for
> hikers.
>
> The Munda Biddi could also be broken into segments -
> For example

Yes, to sort-of quote myself, "Yes, that's one good way to do it, but I'm sure
there are other ways, too..." (which would make good sense for well-articulated
reasons).

I think there might only need to be one "master" relation, that's the one (a
kind of super-relation) that ties them all together.  Distinctions between
north and south would be made as sub-relations, "one each" and both in the
master.  (I'm more familiar with bicycle and public transit routes, not so much
hiking routes, which have their own peculiarities with the various flavors of
role tagging the give rises to "alternative" and "excursion"...).

> This makes changes to it easier as you have to change one section and that is
> then incorporated into each mater relation.

This IS the idea for both "chunking" a big route into smaller components, as
well as WELL crafting it according to the conventions for that type of relation
(here, a hiking route):  smaller components are "more manageable" and where one
(designer / author) decides these edges of structuring can either simplify
future management as changes occur, or make it more complex because it wasn't
designed with those changes very well.  Bottom line, take some time to design
how a large, complex data object in OSM is designed and entered into OSM:  its
structure does matter, for both purposes of "how does this present to people?"
(is it easy to understand?, as entered:  does it render and route well?...) and
"how sensible are the data to manage going forward?"

Let me make the point clearly if I haven't already:  these sorts of "good route
relation design criteria" are not easy, come with practice, are aided by
exactly this sort of community discussion (and eventual consensus) we are doing
here now, and can go multiple directions and still be "widely correct."  We are
data architects of a sort here, and the way the thing is eventually designed
and finally put together "only" has to "work," it doesn't have to be "perfect
under all criteria, for everybody, forever."  Any number of solutions can work
just fine.