Hi Phil

I suspect that 'cleaning-up' these tags would require local knowledge for each
location, and is certainly not as clean-cut as making sure that either one or
the other is used.

There are cases when only the building tag should be used, and some when only
the amenity tag should be used. And others when both are appropriate.

The building tag is intended for the original purpose of the building - ie,
built as/to be a fire station. A historical/defunct fire station is still
tagged as building=fire_station, even when it's no longer in use as such. (The
same philosophy applies to building=church, even when it's no longer a place of
worship)

The amenity=fire_station indicates a location from which fire brigades
(currently) operate.

For example, the DFES Education and Heritage Centre in Perth could be tagged as
building=fire_station because that was its original purpose - it was originally
No. 1 Fire Station. It couldn't be amenity=fire_station as it's not used as a
fire station.

There are also plenty of minor RFS brigades which operate out of buildings that
weren't originally built to be fire stations.

As for the amenity and whether it's an area or a point - it could possibly
depend on whether the facility is solely for a fire brigade.
For example, my local emergency service building houses all of Police,
Ambulance, Fire&Rescue, RFS and SES. It seems to have the following tags:

For the building (perhaps this is incorrect though!)
building=government
amenity=fire_station

Within this building there are separate nodes:
1: emergency=ambulance_station (for Ambulance)
2: amenity=fire_station (for RFS)
3: amenity=emergency_service and emergency=ses_station (for SES)
4: amenity=police
(I thought there used to be a node tagged amenity=fire_station for Fire&Rescue,
but it's no-longer.)

Cheers
Mark

Message: 4