Personally I'd prefer to snap them, it makes it easier for us to maintain,
better for data consumers, and overall cleaner data.

I speculate these departmental GIS teams are creating the boundaries from
their own coastline datasets anyway, so why not just have them match OSM's
coastline?

I think it's unlikely these GIS representations are the absolute set in
stone authority, if they rebuild their GIS data with newer coastline data
their boundary geometry will change.

I agree with Frederik here, if someone wants the boundaries exactly as they
appear in the government published dataset they should go there and not
expect OSM to be exactly the same. They shouldn't be untouchable objects in
OSM, we can hold a different representation of the boundary to the
department's GIS dataset that doesn't make OSM wrong.

I think you'll find exactly what Frederik says, that the moment you step
foot on the land out of the water you'll be deemed in the national park for
most purposes, except particular cases where the boundaries does extend out
in the water.