My knowledge is limited to NSW as that is the state in which I have previously
made enquiries. Verbal descriptions of administrative boundaries have not been
used in recent years. Boundaries are now defined geospatially, with the NSW
Department of Community Services being responsible for producing the official
maps. It is my understanding that the DCS NSW maps are as authoritative as can
be obtained (except for the surveyors' charts from which the DCS maps are
derived). I think the government pays a royalty to surveyors in order to be
able to use the surveyors' data in government maps and licence others to use
these maps.   DCS NSW certainly does not snap the boundaries to nearby features.

I'm uncertain about the terms of use of the government data but, generally,
when reproducing another person or organisation's resources (images, text etc)
with permission, one is required not to distort that resource so as to not
embarrass the donor.  Where a source such as the NSW Government has given
permission to use its data in OSM, I feel we have an obligation to use it
correctly. It would be wrong to show inaccurate boundaries and attribute them
to the Government source.  As the person who initiated obtaining access to the
NSW data a few years ago, I feel particularly embarrassed that we might mis-use
it.

The only reason I can see for snapping administrative boundaries to nearby
natural features is for convenience - but I see it as convenience at the
expense of accuracy.

I will abide by any collective decision of mapping colleagues but I believe
that if we are going to do something, we should do it properly and, in OSM,
that would mean as accurately as we can manage  - even if it is inconvenient
and untidy.