Sorry all for dodgy message above, not sure what happened there. Thanks Phil,
that works fine but I was hoping for a tool I could use across large areas.
I’ve used a series of overpass queries to do things like display all waterways
in Vic named river that are in a relation, show those that aren’t, and overlaid
ways and relations in different colors, etc, which show various anomalies that
I’ve then checked and fixed where needed. The most common issues were probably
relations that were much shorter than named ways (extra ways were probably
added and named more recently) and the inclusion of creeks and rivers with
different names in some relations, especially in headwaters but some flotsam
and jetsam that was probably left over when relations were edited in the past.
Just as I was about to turn the laptop off tonight I found the example below,
where the relation for the Thomson River in Gippsland follows another creek for
a long stretch SW of Heyfield. I’ll fix this tomorrow. If there was a simple
way to display all ways in a relation that had a different name to the
relation, it’d be a really useful tool. Thanks again, cheers Ian

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2211661#map=12/-38.0079/146.7550