Hi Graeme, that’s a whopper isn’t it. It contains a hotch potch of adjacent
waterbodies, but the m/polygon works well to define outer and inner boundaries
(islands). Given it’s not all a ‘river’, the multipolygon tags would perhaps be
more accurate if the tag water=river was removed, leaving just ‘natural=water’.
This aside, I don’t know that there’s any simpler way to map the area.

The big m/polygon could perhaps be broken up into separate ones, with each
defining the banks of a river, stream or separate canal complexes, and each of
these could have an appropriate water tag, eg water=river, water=stream,
water=canal, but in practice this would replace one m/polygon with many. This
has been done in the relation on Lake Capabella a bit further west, for
example. This would also be necessary if someone wanted to add a name on a
subset of the big m/polygon.

Given the complexity of the landuse, I imagine that there isn’t a simple
alternative :(
Putting the relation issue aside, there’s certainly been some wonderful mapping
up your way! Cheers Ian