Thanks stevea for the considered reply. Much appreciated.

In Australia (and specifically Victoria from my experience), unincorporated
areas are not "surrounded by" a local government area implying the local
government overlays them, though they do sometimes abut one or more
neighbouring local government areas. They are state Crown land.

I realise an easy observation for people is to say any unincorporated land
is nothing or otherwise not declared, however there is some complexity in
how they are individually administered by the state departments and
statutory authorities: alpine resorts by ARV, French Island by DTP, Gabo
Island by Parks, etc. These various agencies administer the day-to-day
council-like roads, rates, and rubbish services of their respective
unincorporated areas in the state, thus the suggestion of admin_level=6 to
match neighbouring local government areas for consistency.