The page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:construction does not
mention it's only for new roads. It does mention this line (that I missed
before):

In case of repaired roads or roads under construction, which opening is
> expected in the nearest future, tags *opening_date* and *check_date*should be
> used.
> *opening_date* - date, when opening is expected; *check_date* - date,
> when information about expected opening date and about fact of closing road
> is actual.
>
> Format: <tag k="opening_date" v="YYYY-MM-DD"/>, <tag k="check_date"
> v="YYYY-MM-DD"/>

So it does seem to count for "repaired roads", and we'd better use the
existing schema for noting the date.

I also don't see why we should use other tags for repaired roads than for
new roads.

@Ben, I do agree that OSM should only be used for "geographically stable"
information, but the question is, when would you call it "geographically
stable"?

Roadworks that take two months could be called stable by some. When you add
a date, that date even provides stable information about the works.

Btw, a lot of roadworks change important parts of the highway, and
therefore, the highway will need to be remapped (or retagged) after the
works anyway. Roadworks typically introduce traffic islands, a change in
the number of lanes, a change of the maxspeed ...

So changes at the end of the works should happen anyway.