Today I had a meeting with the GIS responsible for Mol. She stumbled "by
accident" upon OSM and found some of my changes which were coinciding with
editing work she was doing in AGIV and contacted me.
We had an interesting talk this afternoon where I gave here an overview
about what OSM is and what's going on in BE. She concludes that one one
hand there is a lot of duplication (compared to AGIV) in what we're doing -
which will hopefully be reduced by importing the CRAB DB, but on the other
hand there are also lots of potential synergies where the government might
benefit from work done by the OSM community. While this is by no means a
possible onset for government instances to use OSM i.s.o. big G as their
default map in many of their web sites, I see this as a nice opportunity to
create awareness and give more visibility to OSM at the level of
municipalities. One step at a time...
She suggested that it might be interesting to present OSM on one of the
many meetings organized for GIS staff.
I'm not expert enough to do this, so here I am looking for volunteers to
pick this up and take it further. I can provide phone and e-mail contact.
Gilbert