On 2014-06-17 15:16, Marc Gemis wrote :
> From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Annotation
>
> source = survey Track from GPS unit (usually GPX fomat) or other
> physical survey; suggested addition - survey:date
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:survey:date>=YYYY-MM-DD
>
> so IMHO checking the position on aerial images is not included

According to Key:source <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source>,

  * survey = see above in section "How To Use"
  * "How To Use": a survey is a survey, a survey is a survey,
  * and, according to the dictionary, survey = "*to inspect*  to view in
    detail, ... *in order to ascertain* condition, value, etc."
  * I doubt that "source:maxspeed
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source:maxspeed>=Survey 20
    November 2012" was done with a "GPS unit (usually GPX fomat) or
    other physical survey":  your quote is incoherent with Key:source
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source>
  * in source:XXX=data, XXX is whose key (its name) source applies to
    and data is the means of verification like visual and survey,
    including any reference to a publication. When XXX does not exist,
    source applies to all tags.
  * there is no XXX specific to precise location indeed.

So, to my best understanding of English, *source=survey 2014-04* means
that all data have been verified to be correct on that date.

_And that's exactly my intention to indicate that all the data of a bus
stop entry has been verified_ to spare the next visitor another useless
verification.

It may happen that there is an error in a TEC entry and, in that case,
the survey date will be later than the import date and a note had better
explain why.
BTW, this has been presented on the Tagging@osm list and nobody denied
the meaning of survey, only someone said that he doesn't like the word
"survey" for that purpose.

Now if you know a better way, don't hesitate to start suggesting.
> the source should a) contain some reference to TEC,
and what do you think is *TEC 2014-04*?
or Julien's  http://tec-wl.be 2014-04 instead?

But, as we say, Jo should include that in his file.

> b) any aerial image you have used (probably Bing).
all I said doesn't exclude other sources like *Bing 2004* nor anything
else of http://wiki.openstreetmap.org
but I will not make an exhaustive list of what mappers are supposed to
know already

On 2014-06-17 15:18, Ben Abelshausen wrote :
> "Survey" does mean explicitly that there was an actual survey
> (meaning, going to each and every bus station to check if it is
> there!): http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Survey#How_to_use

Survey meaning that there was a survey makes no doubt, but the problem
is defining the word survey which, typically OSM, that article does not.
So, I resorted to a dictionary and it it's a verification by any means,
not necessarily going.

Checking if it's there, and I'll add "where".
Actually, a plain bus stop is where the bus stops. So, having no bus
stop simply means that the bus doesn't stop.
If TEC says that the bus stops, I have a tendency to believe them, else
who should we believe? ;-)
Now, regarding the shelters, shoulders etc., and exact position, the
police have surveillance cameras to check that no one stole the street.
But we, penniless people, have satellites to check that no one stole bus
stops ;-)  In the north, no problem using them.  In the south, it needs
some trickery because we cannot copy (yet) orthophotos. The trickery is
to find the bus stop on a viewable-only, recent photo, then to check
that it's at the same place as on Bing, and then to copy it from Bing.
Et voilà.
In the rare cases you must go, you can go by bus. Use a delivery
itinerary optimizer and a GPS tracker and buy a round trip tourist
ticket.  Ask the driver if he prefers telling you where he would stop
exactly or if you're required to actually push the stop button each time.

BTW, I have read that it's the way they make their maps. By running
trackers on drivers' GPSes and calculating the mean values.  According
to the results obtained by TEC, I would recommend buying several round
trip tickets ;-)

Just a little bit humorously ;-)

André.