There are some people who prefer to work on itineraries (route relations)
like you and me, but there are also people who want to micromap all those
details. Have a look at the northern side of Leuven to see what I mean.

Then there are people who totally dislike reusing nodes from the vectors we
use to represent the streets and the landuse. That's what the discussion in
the German forum and mailing list is about.

One solution for that problem is to represent streets like we represent
(larger) rivers. A vector for routing and an area (closed way or
Multipolygon) for the 'surface'. This area can then be connected to the
surrounding landuse.

In a way this would be cleaner. But you are right, it's an incredible
amount of work. Something we certainly didn't consider a few years ago.
Hence the glueing of landuses to highways where the highways forms the
'border' between 2 landuses.

In Germany it seems like they have a community which is starting to become
large enough to consider doing it. Or they may simply disconnect the ways
from the landuse and make the landuse a bit smaller, not minding the
artefacts this will create when rendering at higher zoom levels.

The other alternative is to keep the landuse connected, but detach the ways
from it and have the ways independent from the landuse. This might also
look strange when rendered if the way crisscrosses over the landuse, but I
guess they will probably keep it on one side as much as possible.

If we decide to start adding the ways as areas, I'd like to see a specific
tag for those bus bays... At the moment I'm not sure how to tag them, so I
tag their outline as some sort of negative by drawing a platform way around
them. This only works when there is an actual platform though.

Cheers,

Jo