> That is indeed a hard nut to crack. It's also an edge case (fortunately
> not too many of them)
>
> To make the name tag more complete we could add the translation between
> parentheses. I realise it's not the standard way of working that we use for
> the 'easier' cases.
>
> Jo

How are municipalities with language facilities normally mapped? I see two
different approaches. In Comines-Warneton, all streets are named FR-NL,
while in Mesen, the streets are only named with the Dutch name.

I think we should just put one language in the name tag, and the other in
the name:lg tag. The existence of such a name:lg tag represents the
facilities given to speakers of other language (they are able to see a
localised map, use search tools in their language, ...), while it
differentiates the language-facilities case from the completely bilingual
region of Brussels. Giving only one name also matches the current naming of
the municipality (it sais "Comines-Warneton", not "Comines-Warneton -
Komen-Waasten").

 @Marc: Nominatim is hardly a reference for this. It already has problems
when a way is only on the boundary between two municipalities, even when
both municipalities use the same name.

I think, if tools are able to search all name:* tags, they would be able to
find all streets. And if they allow binding addr:street to a name:left or
name:right of a street, they would also be able to bind the above addresses
to streets.

It's true that current tools can't display the French name of the above
situations. But that's because Komenweg has no translation to French
translation. More complicated tools could gain the capability to render
names as GRB does (on the right side of the road if the name is different
on both sides, similar to current boundary tags). And in that case, they
could display the French name on the right side. But that won't happen in
the next 5 years I suppose.

Regards,
Sander