I'm sure you can look through this mailing list's history and find all kinds of
discussion about it in the past...

Long story short: the unpaved thing was more or less the original usage, then
it was changed in some other countries which was set as the international
definition and in Belgium we didn't change it.

Personally I think the difference unpaved <-> paved for track <-> other road
types makes much more sense in Belgium, and also much more objective.

Ben