Bicycle highways are more like bicycle routes than different highway types.

They are a route specifically made for commuting, connecting residential
area with some work center in a rather straight line.

As such, I think those could get tagged as a cycle route with some specific
sub tags (like a special network).

The question is though: are they verifiable on the ground. Or is it just
that European list naming them. It should only be tagged when you see
something on the ground that you can relate to bicycle highways.

Regards,
Sander