FWIW I had the same problem in Brussels when I tried to map regional
routes as RCN (like the Canal route or the Promenade verte), as
opposed to local/communal itineraries that exist too.

Someone downgraded them to LCN because RCN was used for node networks
around the region and they probably didn't like them to share the same
colour...

I've given up since, but it would be nice to find a better solution
than the current mess.

--
Benoit