> That is true but I'm missing a general mapping strategy, there is some
> widespread tag misuse IMHO.

IMHO this is valid for any kind of mapping, even where there exist clear
guidelines.

It's really a binary thing, either it exists and verifiable in the
> field, or either it's not.  We don't record historic buildings that have
> disappeared, same applies to those roads that are gone and merely exist
> on paper. <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-be>

It is not as binary as you would like to. Roads don't reappear
spontaneously. Paths do. Sometimes limited periods of the year.
Buildings don't move spontaneously. Path certainly do.

The binary cases are
- visible and accessible year-round: in OSM
- invisible and totally inaccessible (e.g. going through building): not in
OSM
I think we can all agree on that.

It gets a bit more tricky in the border cases, and there I add my opinion
- visible and inaccessible (e.g. due to fence): in OSM, with access=private
or whatever is appropriate and mapping the barriers
- sometimes visible and year-round accessible: in OSM
- visible and sometimes accessible (due to fences): in OSM and lots of fun
with the access tags
- visible and sometimes accessible (due to vegetation): in OSM. Is there by
now a seasonal tag that can be used?
- invisible and year-round accessible: in OSM (*)
- year-round invisible and year-round inaccessible (e.g. due to fence): not
in OSM (motivation: why would it be? It's no use to anyone)

(*): this is probably the most controversial one. If the consensus is that
this doesn't belong in OSM, just walk it a few times and you are in the
case "sometimes visible and year-round accessible". Put it in OSM as such.

Just as a description of cases where it not binary. If often pass over ways
that are in Atlas, but most of the time you don't see any path. I just
happen to know how the way crosses the field and that's how I go. Because
it is in the Atlas, I'm allowed to do so. Even when crops are growing in
the field I make my way across (**).
Sometimes I encounter footprints, so I'm definitely not the only one that
is using it. Especially during the winter a faint path may become visible.
When a group of people happened to pass a few days (or even weeks depending
on the weather) beforehand, you see a more or less clear path. Should it be
in OSM? For me that is yes. Even if you won't see anything most of the year.
(**): unless the farmer decides again to plant those thorny things that
ripped my legs open when I tried to run across them

Joost,
I think it would be very good to put that page online (with disclaimer that
it is under discussion at the moment). You might get some heat at points
where some people don't agree, but at least it will make the discussion
more focused.

wouter

--
"Den som ikke tror på seg selv kommer ingen vei."
                                       - Thor Heyerdahl