Nominatim adds data that's not coming from OSMl. The language list I
mentioned or Tiger address data to name a few.

Maybe the problem is not that big (and that's why it's not in the
issue tracker). It will not appear if you only have 1 language
preference in your browser.
Or when the place is mapped with all name:XX tags that are applicable.
So I think you will not encounter this problem in Brussels, as all
villages etc. are mapped with name:nl and name:fr.
And if we are not creating an issue now, it might never become an
issue for Nominatim.

Your solution is better than adding data to just Nominatim, as it
allows any data consumer to reply with the correct name. Still the
data consumer needs to be updated.

regards