On 2017-05-10 11:58, joost schouppe wrote:

>     I guess Glenn’s point is that the license issue cannot be
>     circumvented, even if the king itself says something different
>     than its contents.
>
> André, could you elaborate the statement that tracing = consulting? I
> don't really understand how you come to that conclusion
Rather consulting => tracing.
As opposed to "*copier*" which is what we would do if we imported PICC's
vector data, "*consulter*" is accessing the raster scan images of their
Web servers by any means. "Aucune contrainte d'accès pour la
consultation" means that we can do anything with those images, including
what I prompted the SPW to write in a OSM tailored document when I
recalled what we are doing: "décalquer", "trace", "overtrekken?",
something that we learn to do at the kindergarten together with
"picoter": put a sheet of paper on top of another and draw what is
underneath.
> I'm not really sure about this, but I think it could work if the
> copyright owner creates some official documentation explaining that
> tracing on top of their imagery is not considered copying. My French
> isn't good enough to understand if the mail from geoportail is saying
> exactly that. But if anyone thinks it would be possible to get them to
> add a clause like this, we could ask legal-questions if a model like
> that could work. I don't think a copy-pasted e-mail is enough though.
You can ask them to change their site, but I fear that you're getting a
huge problem on your hands because there seems to be no Web site in the
world that speaks of "décalquer". SPW seems to be the first one to speak
correctly, and you would have to ask to do the same to all the world
sites too !!!
I think that if 99,999% of the users will only figure printing the map
or so, the SPW might prefer to not embarrass those users by speaking of
tracing and having to answer what it means. They may prefer to issue an
OSM tailored version.
> > I made an overpass turbo script showing OSM with the Michelin's colors.
> > I won't show it because the vigilantes would accuse me to copy
> Michelin's colors.
> > While doing so, I noticed that the main axis Ans-Amercœur wasn't
> fully Michelin's colors.
> > So, this could produce suboptimal routes.
> > This is because a few N3 streets are tagged highway=secondary
> instead of =primary.
> > I certainly did not correct that because the vigilantes would say
> that it is copying Michelin.
>
> I'm still of the opinion that we cannot use Michelin to validate our
> own map. But here you're talking about using the coloring of OSM roads
> to look for strange situations. That is obviously OK. If you really
> want to do that in Michelin style colors because that's what you like
> to see, I don't think anyone could be against that (though copyright
> holders sometimes think in strange ways).
For one thing, speaking of colors was a joke but it seems that it
unwillingly proved how picky copyright matters can be.
First, if anything in copyrights is precise, it seems necessary to
clarify what you mean by "validate our map".
Second, please let Michelin themselves decide what they allow.
My impression from their reply is that they just don't mind.
And, if you find it necessary, please add this note to those secondary
streets: It is forbidden to change these National roads to primary
because someone once notices that they are so on a Michelin map.

Happy mapping,
Cordialement,
Amitiés,

André.