> And to be honest: I don't think OSM will really surpass commercial maps for
> car navigation, because up to date traffic information is part of that.
> I don't see how volunteers can arrange that quickly.

In some countries (including Belgium) traffic information from the
government is open data. Some OSM based apps, such as Magic Earth or
MapsFactor Navigator use this information. I have driven to Austria
this year with Magic Earth and the GPS in my car. There was not a lot
of difference in accuracy regarding traffic information.
The traffic slow down on the R0 I went through today was also
announced via Magic Earth.

Waze is also an app that uses volunteers to gather traffic
information. The beta version of Magic Earth that I'm testing now
allows people to send information about road works, traffic jams etc.
to the central servers. Just like Waze.

Some car manufacturers (e.g. BMW) use statistics from the cars of that
brand to gather up-to-date traffic information. Magic Earth does this
as well from their installed base.

So it depends more on the features of your OSM based navigation app
than anything else.
If you are not satisfied with OsmAnd for car navigation, I really
recommend you to try out Magic Earth.

regards

m.