There's an additional complication for adding UUIDs: different
topologies, for e.g. dual carriageways. I'm seeing a lot of cases where
OSM has a single way for a stret, but Geobase has two. So, assigning UUIDs
can not be a mechanical process.  In fact, I'll argue that matching
Geobase UUIDs is similar to throwing out exising data for a way and
adding it in these cases, if not positionally, then topologically.
And intersections of dual carriageways with smaller roads make it even
more complicated - every little piece has a separate UUID.

Speaking of quality, while positionally OSM data can even be more
accurate (I've seen a couple places already),  topological-correctness
wise it does not approach GeoBase data. Duplicated nodes, overlapping
ways, crossing ways, unattached ways are all too common. For
auto-routing maps, this is a huge problem.
Same applies to naming of streets (St. vs Street and such) and road
classification.

It's definitely possible to get to the desired state (first-hand
OSM-mapping derived data combined with systematic, UUID-enabled, QA-assured
base from
GeoBase) using the "preserve existing" approach, but really, we should
ask ourselves, what's easier and gets to this state sooner:

1) start fresh (streets/road-wise), enjoy correct topology and overall
consistency for the whole Canada from the start, and correct/add to out-of-date
data from GeoBase.

2) do a lot of, and I mean a LOT of manual fixes that often amount to
the same -- see what I started with.

Perhaps it's too late to have this discussion (I'm pretty new to OSM, BTW),
but to me it seems very tempting to be able to have a really good map right now,
with very little effort, and incrementally fix it subsequently. I think this
also makes the bidirectional exchange with GeoBase a lot more realistic.

All this said, the areas I've imported all follow preserve-existing
approach (see user "mbiker"). I've also started to fix up topology, and
that's what prompted the above.

Michael.