On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Frank Steggink wrote:

> Sorry, I meant statscan. I'm not sure how to add the data. The wiki page
> mentions "Download in shapefile format and use OpenJump to add road
> names from Statscan", but I don't know how to accomplish that. Regarding
> roads traced from Yahoo and other imagery: they're generally more
> accurate than the Geobase data, so I'm not sure if that would be a good
> idea.

What I do with the statscan data is

1. Load the larger (ie province wide )shapefile into postgis with shp2psql
2. Generate a smaller shape file with something similar to the stored
procedure listed ont he wiki page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase_NRN_-_OSM_Map_Feature#Road_Names_from_StatsCan)
3. Run RoadMatcher on the smaller GeoBase shapefile and the StatsCan
shapefile
4. I then pass the road matcher result to geobase2osm with the -n option.

If you need more details/help with any of these steps let me know where the
gaps are and I can try to expand.

> OK, so uploading the complete out.osm file is enough. I still have the
> standalone and excluded files, and tried to keep them in sync with the
> changes I made (after the initial upload and corrections), but I can't
> guarantee they're still right. I wonder if, once new Geobase data is
> available, it wouldn't be better to download the data from OSM. There is
> a chance that new additions have already been surveyed and added to OSM.

I feel the complete files are useful becaues it gives someone the geobase
view of things.  I find the excluded files are only useful to point out
areas where geobase might have missed roads or pointing out areas that
likely need some manual attention.  If your giving manual attention to areas
before you uplaod to OSM then having the excluded files might not be that
valuable to someone else.