Hi Richard,
i think your refering to the large multi-polygons such as
'residential_area', and it 'appears' to be inverted.

Here's the majic; when all the sub- residential.osm files are uploaded
to OSM, it renders correctly.
In JOSM, you need to zoom out and load the area, to see it.

I think i'll load a region of NFLD in the next cuple days to test my hypothises.

Sam

ps. I cc'd talk-ca as this was mentioned b4.

--
Twitter: @Acrosscanada