Hi Adam,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Adam Dunn <dunna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working through CanVec for my home area (092H04), and the pipeline
> feature from the CanVec import uses the tags k=pipeline:type
> v=natural_gas|oil, whereas the preferred OSM tag is to use k=type
> v=natural_gas|oil [
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpipeline]
>
> Sweet!  You found a bug :)
I'll fix the Rules.txt file to better show that.

> Also, I've noticed that some of the CanVec data is out of position/date by
> quite a bit. The downtown high-voltage transformer station was about 100
> meters

I didn't include the accuracy_meters=* tag, but i could.  I didn't feel it
necessary, since it's just a rectangle.  And when you go an map more detail
(add in where the school parking lot is) and where the playground/sports
areas area) The building just needs to be highlighted.

> out of where it should be, and the CanVec data still shows the old building
> for Sardis Secondary School, which was demolished in 1995 and replaced with
> a new building in a different location/shape.

I didn't include the latest-update data as a tag, but i could.

Austin, has experience with school tagging, as the area of the school would
not include the 'building=yes' so then it all shows up better.

> I feel comfortable doing the CanVec import for my home town because I know
> the area well enough to omit poor data, but I don't know if I should go
> ahead with CanVec conversion for other areas. Most of the data is good, it's
> just the few outdated points that are questionable. Should I go ahead with
> other areas and just blindly import, or is it better to wait for local
> mappers?

Yup.  ... I'd say just load your local-local area that you know is right.
Maybe do a reverse select, and save that .osm file (which omits the area you
just worked on) as a the-rest-of-data.osm file, and keep in handy (on your
computer).
Since your the main-mapper for the tile area, other local mappers would
consult you as to what data to copy over.  (you can also list the details on
the main Canada Import Chart if you like, but not necessary)

This is why i made the files as 2000 points or less so it's easier to deal
with.  I could go smaller, say 1000, or 500 for certain features? Would that
be better?