Hi M.A. Gagnon,

The goal is to import nearly all of the features of Canvec. That is why
the conversion script is converting all the themes at once, but not per
theme.  However, I can imagine that it is more convenient to focus on
one or a few themes at first. This would be a nice addition for the next
version of canvec_to_osm. So far the only thing I considered adding was
support to download 256 NTS tiles at once. I'm not sure when I'll be
working on it, but once it is done, I'll post it on talk-ca.

The first thing I did when taking over the maintenance of this script
was converting it to Python. Many people, including me, aren't running
Windows. And of course Python is a much more flexible scripting language
than .bat files. You can find Python at http://www.python.org. The
script itself can be found at [1]. This download does not contain Ian
Dees' JAR file, because it can be downloaded from his site. In case
you're not familiar with Python (and if you use Windows): 1) make sure
python.exe is available in your PATH variable; 2) the script is executed
by typing "python canvec-to-osm.py [options]" in a command prompt.

In the meantime I've put the sources and the rules files on [2], so that
eventual interested people can work on it as well. I renamed the .py
files, because using hyphens in the name is a bit awkward, but I didn't
make any other changes.

If you have questions or comments, please let me know.

Regards,

Frank

[1] http://www.steggink.org/osm/Canvec/Canvec-to-osm_v0.1.zip
[2]