On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Adam Dunn <dunna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For those wondering what this is about, Vancouver is designating certain
> traffic lanes for official Olympic vehicles (public transit buses, athlete
> transportation, media transportation, etc). Other lanes on the same street
> are to remain open for public use. See
> [http://olympichostcity.vancouver.ca/gettingaround/driving/olympic-route-network.htm#1]
> for more details.

Thanks for the clarification, Adam.

I see a number of things in play here,

These lanes are of local interest for only a limited time.  They may
not get rendering support unless/even if you submit patches to the
renderers.  If you want to render this yourself, perhaps an openlayers
"mashup" will be more to your liking?

One lane out of a way, for special use suggests something like
cycleway=lane.  Perhaps olympic=lane ?

This is an item that will exist for a limited time period, so date_on=
and date_off tags for this restriction seem reasonable.

Overall this smells like a relation to me.  There are no physical
changes to the roads (?)  Perhaps only temporary signs.  Relations for
this allow you to add the restrictions and label in a single place,
then remove it afterwards.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route

Perhaps like this

type=route
route=olympic
name=Olympic Route
access=official
date_on=
date_off=

members would be the way sections that are part of the route.