It is possible to use Osmosis in this way. From [1]:
osmosis --read-xml file="Canvec092C01.osm" --bounding-box top=48.05
bottom=48 left=-124.1 right=-124 --write-xml file="Canvec092C01A.osm"

For my own work with geobase2osm.py I wrote a small bash shell script that
will grab coordinates from Frank's site [2] and do most of the work for me,
outputting an entire area of Geobase, as smaller files. Maybe something
similar could be put in the toolchain for the Canvec process?

[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis#Extracting_bounding_boxes
[2]: http://www.steggink.org/geo/nts_area/092C01A

Adam